Monday, January 26, 2015

Do My Questions Mean that I am Islamophobic?

In May of 2014, a citizen of Saudi Arabia, by the name of Raif Baddawi, was sentenced to 10 years in prison and to be publically flogged with 1,000 lashes, yes, one thousand!  Why?  Because he supposedly insulted Islam by creating an online forum to freely engage in dialogue, inviting insightful discussion about the Islamic faith.  He was supposedly exercising the right to freedom of expression in Saudi Arabia.  He was also ordered to pay a fine of one million Saudi riyals (about $260,000).  The thousand lashes were to be given out at 50 per week for 20 weeks.  It is reported that ill health has prevented this from happening according to schedule.

As I read about this I began to wonder and ask myself: Saudi Arabia is an oil rich country, why do we not hear of Muslim refugees fleeing to Saudi Arabia for safety and protection, being as how it so solidly supports the Islamic faith?

Then I wonder, given the expected standard of respect for human beings and their values, why does the demand for such respect seem so one sided?  When it comes to countries like Saudi Arabia, it seems to show very little respect or tolerance for anyone that strays even a little from their own narrow definition of applied Islamic law.  Yet Western countries, such as France e.g., are castigated for disrespecting the Islamic faith and all Islamic people around the world simply for trying to maintain its own laws, such as freedom of speech.

And then I have to ask, why do Muslim immigrants get to demand respect for their laws, traditions, customs, and faith practices in their new host countries, while Christians cannot and dare not do the same in all Islamic controlled countries such as Saudi Arabia?

Then I wonder why Islam and its prophet Mohammed is the only religion (seemingly) that must not be criticized, scrutinized, or satirized?  In the West, Jesus is made fun of, insulted, and even blasphemed against, quite regularly; but those who say and do such things will not damage or minimize Christ’s true divine authority nor destroy my faith in Christ.  For me, Christ is and always will be, King of Kings and Lord of Lords.  It’s only a matter of time when all people will realize this.  This I believe.  Yet, I have no desire to kill or to even hate anyone that shows disrespect for Jesus.

So why is the Prophet Mohammed to be treated as if he were more sacrosanct than Jesus Christ?  Or why is the Prophet Mohammed so much more fragile than Christ, that one dare not say anything negative about him?  And why can’t I freely say, without fear of having my life threatened, that I do not in the least believe that the Prophet Mohammed is a Prophet of God at all, in the same way that many, many people are free to say that they don’t believe that Jesus is the Son of God and Savior of the world?

Of course, then I have to ask, why are Islamic leaders able to preach, teach, and even proselytize their faith to make converts in free Western countries, while this same action, if done by Christian leaders in countries like Saudi Arabia is punishable by death?

I confess, I then get a little irritated and impatient (I’m not saying this is right of me or that I am doing well when I get this way or that I am being wise at such times).  Then I ask: so, why is it that when a Western country like France passes laws against the wearing of the burka, e.g., it is considered racist, restrictive, bad form, and unjust?  Yet a country like Saudi Arabia is free to flog a man with one thousand lashes and imprison the same for 10 years just for wanting to have an open and intelligent discussion, perhaps even questioning some items, about the Islamic faith?  It just seems so one sided and so unjust to me.

I have to wonder, as I see Muslims moving into Western countries and then expect and demand certain rights and freedoms from the West, while Christians who live or work in Middle Eastern countries, like Saudi Arabia, cannot and dare not expect the same rights and freedoms, where’s the fairness or justice or balance in that?

Just why exactly then, is Islam so rigid and fragile, that no one can question its laws or practices or traditions without having his or her life threatened for it?

I think these are fair questions that many non-Muslims have a right to be asking, without being immediately shut down and accused of being bigots, racist, or Islamophobic (apparently the new bad that we are not supposed to be).

No comments:

Post a Comment