Monday, September 19, 2016

The Presidential Campaign and Nonsense Medical Records

Doesn’t it strike you as a bit trivial, even silly?

As a voter, I really don’t care much about what a doctor may say about the present health condition of either candidate.

Their willingness to run and endure the demands of a presidential campaign, is itself evidence that they must be in fairly good health.  It is quite obvious that running for the highest office in the nation requires a lot of stamina, calls for much energy, and is quite demanding of one’s body, mind, and spirit.  So whoever runs for president knows that good health is a necessity.

I do have to wonder: When is Hilary going to learn to simply be upfront and straightforward about these kinds of things?

Yet, I understand why Hilary avoided candid transparency about having pneumonia in the first place.  She knew that Trump would trump it up.  Still, it was a sorry decision on her part for exactly that reason.  Had she been upfront about having pneumonia from the get go, and had Trump pounced on this fact, using it as a political weapon against her, it might have served to demonstrate Trump’s smallness and pettiness, pouncing on such a trivial even silly little matter.

Who doesn’t get sick?  Who hasn’t had “walking pneumonia”?  Who doesn’t need rest after dealing with long hours of stretched out working days and long traveling/working nights, especially as is required in a presidential campaign?

Thus, the whole thing was made more of, than it should have been.

It is the result of campaigns being more about vilifying and demonizing one’s opponent than about issues, platforms, and visional substance.

I trust that both Hilary Clinton and Donald Trump are in good health.  I see with my own eyes that they are both healthy enough to endure a presidential campaign and beyond.

I therefore don’t want to hear talk about either Hilary’s or Donald’s health records.  It’s not news.  It tells me nothing I can’t already see for myself, nor does it expose anything I feel that I need to know.

And so, for me, the state of their health is a non-issue.  If they’re healthy enough to run for president, they’re healthy enough to BE president; its as simple as that.  Getting ill or contracting sicknesses along the way, is just that.  It is not horrifying breaking news.  They’re human like the rest of us and so they’ll get sick just like anybody else.  It’s only normal.
It’s as simple as that.

No comments:

Post a Comment