Monday, October 25, 2010

Computer Terror!

I missed a week in blogging. My computer broke. Ugh!! Boy, did that send me into a tail spin, having to play catch up with my normal workload. Is getting a new computer, upgrading and downloading, acquiring new software, re-installing old programs, learning new ones, recovering backed-up files, etc., as frustrating and time costly for everyone, or is it just me?

I think I’m becoming paranoid. Okay, let’s just say, anxious and concerned. Our dependency on our computers, cloud computing, storing sensitive content all over the place, up there, somewhere in cyberspace, is scary. Truth is, all our content has got to be in some company’s earthbound computer system. What does it all mean in terms of State security, let alone Personal security?

It seems to me that the best way to terrorize a modern, high-tech society is to take out its computer grid. I am sure this is being thought of. Is it just a matter of time? Think of our “must have” dependency on electrical power, just to use our techno gadgets. Given our increased dependency on technological gadgetry, are we not more, rather than less vulnerable?

I don’t mean to be a pessimist here, nor do I want to sound like a grumpy old man complaining about these new fangled contraptions (perhaps I’m in denial). Nevertheless, have you noticed how computers are taking over everything? They’re in our cars, stoves, refrigerators, watches, phones, even in our clothes and shoes (measuring and monitoring our running and exercise efforts, for example). And not surprisingly, the older we get, the more difficult it is to keep up with it all.

The young have the time to fiddle around, play, search and inquire, test, try, and experiment with all these new desktop, laptop, handheld, roving, glowing, buzzing and flickering thingamabobs. That’s how they learn. So, of course they know more about getting around on a new computer than we older and wiser types do (I know I’m older, I certainly hope that I’m the wiser for it). We mature types just want to get our work done. We don’t have the time to play around (learn), make mistakes (discover), and try new methods (expand and grow). Why, I still remember when just replacing a black/red ribbon on a typewriter was a small but irritating interruption to the flow of typing out a paper for my next class. Now we have computer crashes to deal with!

Well, all I can say is that, despite our push and excitement for the latest and greatest, quickest, fastest, super-speed, all-in-one gizmos and do-dads, I think the age-old saying still applies: The less working parts, the less chance there is for breakdown. So, hey techies! Please, KISS me with your innovations: “Keep It Simple Stupid!” As for the rest of us, let me ask you. With all these new fangled contraptions that you now own and operate, how much simpler and easier is your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment