Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Tax-Cuts, Class War, and Wealthy Crybabies

“Greed is good!”

Really?  Is that the new American way?

I have to wonder; why are the top wealthiest Americans so worried about losing their tax-cuts.  “This is Class War!” they cry.  I have to respond: are you serious?  Is that what it comes down to?  Do you really feel that threatened by it?  With money comes power.  And with power comes influence, and with influence more access to ways and means.  I can’t help wondering, why are you (the top wealthiest Americans) so afraid of losing your precious tax-cuts?  How much money, power, and control must you have?  I can only imagine that your real answer is: as much as you can get and as much as you can keep!  You won’t budge an inch, will you?

I’m not poor.  Neither am I independently wealthy.  I do not belong to that top niche of wealthiest Americans.  So, I am biased.  I have little sympathy for the very wealthy who are fearful, feeling threatened by the possibility of losing their tax-cuts.  Why?  Because when I think about the super wealthy and their lifestyle, coupled with their means and ability to make, manage, and manipulate their money interests, I can’t imagine that losing their precious tax-cuts will really hurt them.  They’re not suffering now, nor will they suffer later, even if they do lose their tax-cuts.

As I see it, the very wealthy, never suffer; they don’t know how.  And besides, they’re too insulated and protected, able to shield themselves from economic downturns.  So it seems to me that the super rich have little idea and certainly no practical experience as to what real hardship means; they know very little as to what real economic sacrifice means.  For example, if they were to lose their tax-cuts, would this mean real hardship, actual sacrifice, on their part?  Will they suffer a loss of lifestyle, pleasures and comforts?  I think not.

And so they (the super wealthy) get little sympathy from me, especially when they want to transfer their fears onto the average, middle class American, so as to make it seem as if we’re the ones that will truly be hurt by the loss of their tax-cuts.  Although perhaps it’s true in this sense: the few powerful wealthy will always find a way to make up for their losses, usually by putting the expense right back on the shoulders of the average hard working middle class guy (class war?).

But here’s the thing: even with my own meager, non-wealthy, middleclass income and lifestyle, I know that I can survive well enough, with little change of lifestyle, if I were to lose the tax-cuts for my income bracket (which is not to be the case if the super wealthy would graciously release theirs).  So why do the top wealthiest Americans become such crybabies over the possibility of losing their tax-cuts?  They won’t suffer for it.  It’s really no great sacrifice for them.  (If it wouldn’t be for me, it can’t be for them.)  Are they in pain?  Are they hurting from this economy?  If so, exactly where does it hurt?  Are they eating less?  Are they traveling less?  Are they buying fewer luxury ticket items?  Are they downsizing in any way, form, or manner?  Is that what’s hurting our economy?  I don’t think so.

Bill Gates has it right.  He’s willing to pay his fair share of taxes, and he does.  Not only that, he’s also willing to give away much of his wealth to charity.  And he does.  Would that all of our wealthy Americans thought, felt, and acted as Bill Gates does.  There would be no question of allowing the Bush tax cuts to end for the wealthy few.

You Wealthiest of Americans, where is your American spirit and gratitude?  Where is your willingness to give back?  Where is your respect for, care of, and concern for those less fortunate than yourselves?  You have enough, more than enough.  Losing your tax cuts will NOT cause irreparable damage to your lifestyle, freedom, or fun.  You already have plenty of access to wealth, power, and influence.  You know this is true.  Come on then!  Stop the greed, and quit the fear mongering.  Be gracious, be real Americans in spirit and in character, give the little guy a break and freely give up your tax-cuts and let the little guy keep his.

No comments:

Post a Comment